Monday 28 February 2011

WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING, SURE IT'S LIKE A MORN IN SPRING

Today I am remembering my lovely Mum and Dad on their Birthdays. Mums today (Feb 28th) and Dads tomorrow (March 1st).

My brothers and I were so lucky to have such amazing parents. They lived for us kids and later on for their 10 Grandchildren.

They were both born in Limerick, Eire. Although there was only one day between their birthdays they were actually born ten years apart. Mum was only sixteen when they met and Dad was a dashing young soldier. I think my Mum gave Dad quite a hard time and kept him 'hanging on' for a long time! Eventually she gave in and they started dating. They both had a hard start in life, my Mums Mother died when my Mum was only 17 years old and she had to care for her younger siblings while her father was in the Army in England. From what I am told my Dad was like an adopted father to my Mums brothers and sister. From the word 'go' they were such loving and giving people. They married when my Mum was 19 and two years later had my eldest brother followed by two more boys.

In the mid-fifties my parents and brothers came over to England to give their family a better future as Ireland was in a deep recession at the time. This must have been so hard to do, starting from scratch with nothing familiar around you. I know they missed their native Ireland until the day they died. I was born two years after they arrived in England.

They were both such hard working people, I can't remember my Dad missing one day of work and he didn't go to the Doctors until well into his seventies!

My Dad was a quiet man but always made me feel so secure and loved right up until the day he died. Mum was the type of person who lit up a room when she walked into it (although she would never believe it), she was so bright and intelligent and had an amazing grasp on general knowledge. We were very close and I miss her everyday.

My own children had a fantastic relationship with Nanny and Grandpa, no celebration really got going until they arrived! I know they miss them terribly but I am so grateful they had that wonderful time with them. Our only regret is that they never got to meet their beautiful Great Granddaughter but I do feel they sent her to us to fill a big empty void! There is also a strangely familiar look in  our little ones eyes, Nanny is definitely there! So I do think those Irish eyes are smiling looking down on us all today.
So all that is left to say for now is HAPPY BIRTHDAY KITTY & PAT.

Kathleen Mary Foley (nee Flynn)    Patrick Joseph Foley
28 Feb 1926-30 Aug  2004            1 March 1916-11 Aug 2004
Always in our hearts. xxx

Carly  – (28 February 2011 at 09:30)  

Such a lovely post! Made me cry! They were amazing people and I can see them in you so much. We were very lucky to have them. Love You xxx

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B  – (7 March 2011 at 18:30)  

Beautiful tribute! And, such a darling photo! Smiling and loving..that's what I see :-)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome  – (12 March 2011 at 20:45)  

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your parents. Thanks for stopping by my Red Door and leaving a comment.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography  – (4 April 2011 at 16:24)  

Oh AnneMarie what a lovely post about your parents...they sound like such lovely people. It must be a wonderful feeling looking into your little Granddaughters eyes and seeing your Mum. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Maura :)

Post a Comment