Monday 17 March 2014

WE HAD DREAMS AND SONGS TO SING

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY !!

There aren't many days when my mind doesn't wander for a little while to the island where my heart belongs. Today, especially, I am thinking of Ireland and the two dear people that I left there.






My parents brought my three brothers over to England, seeking a better life for their family, two years before I was born. My brothers never let me forget that I was the only one of our family not born in Ireland, only in a jokey way, besides all this I have always felt that I am Irish and because of my parentage I am legally allowed to class myself as an Irish citizen!

Mum and Dad always wanted to return to live in Ireland but the arrival of Grandchildren and everyday life never gave them the opportunity to do so. Back in June 2003 my family and I suffered a devastating fire in our cottage which resulted in us having to move out for six months for our home to be put back together. Luckily we weren't home at the time, our lovely Lab/Retriever was in the cottage but was unhurt (thankfully).  My oldest brother had booked a holiday to Ireland with my Mum and Dad in the August, he then kindly asked me if I would like to go with them. It was such a wonderful time, seeing where they grew up, courted and their first homes together. Dad even at the age of 87 and not having lived in Limerick for so many years, knew every turn in the road!  It was like he had never been away!   I so enjoyed seeing them quickly relax into the life they knew and loved so much. For me this was such an amazing time, made all the more poignant in the fact that a year later, August 2004, we sadly lost them both.  This trip, I feel, was meant to be. Mum and Dad finally went home and I know are at peace in the land that they loved.

On a lighter note, we won the Six Nations, oh yeah!   Dad would love that!


Dad outside his old barracks in Ireland
TTFN Annemarie xxxx


Josie  – (17 March 2014 at 20:33)  

Thanks for such a beautiful post, stunning pictures. I'm also so glad that you were able to share such a meaningful trip with your parents x

AnneMarie  – (17 March 2014 at 20:35)  

Thanks Josie, I am so glad that I went with them, wonderful memories of two grand people. xxx

Lynne  – (19 March 2014 at 03:25)  

Beautiful photos . . . no land like Ireland.
How sweet and tender that you made it possible for your parents to get back to their homeland.

AnneMarie  – (19 March 2014 at 14:53)  

Thankyou Lynne! My heart is truly in the Emerald Isle! My Husband and I are seriously considering retiring there, whether I can leave the Grandbabies is another story! Love reading your blog xxxx

Melinda  – (28 March 2014 at 21:55)  

Oh what a nice post and such beautiful pictures.
I just realized you had posted-where have I been?

M : )

JFM  – (30 April 2020 at 17:00)  

This is a lovely post with stunning photos! Hi, my name is Jan and I stumbled happily upon your blog and I am now a follower 🌻🐦

lcrenovation  – (17 January 2022 at 06:14)  

Hello, Thank you so much for writing such an informational blog. If you are facing trouble in your Mozilla Firefox then you can get quick and best support here, for more info click on given links-
House Renovations in Bermondsey

Post a Comment